New York Metro Area Partnership for Service-Learning (NYMAPS)
NYMAPS hosts regularly scheduled meetings devoted to professional development, showcasing innovative approaches, and providing opportunities for networking. NYMAPS meetings are open to members as well as to representatives of interested community groups and higher education institutions.
2011 NYMAPS Symposium
"The Power of Partnerships: Transforming Students and Communities Through Service-Learning"
Date: March 23, 2011
Location: Columbia University
The NYMAPS Symposium
- Showcases higher education faculty members, community organization representatives, and students sharing service-learning outcomes and program models
- Inspires participants to learn from best practices and examples of service-learning innovation
- Engages people at all levels of experience with service-learning by increasing their knowledge of service-learning in higher education in New York City
- Builds connections among campus and community representatives interested in working together.
· Partnerships that Work: The Stories & Lessons from Campus Community Collaborations
· Social Innovation & Service-Learning: Forging Partnerships with Community-based Organizations
· Service-Learning through Intra-University Collaboration: A Social Work Partnership with an Alternative Breaks Program
· Thirteen/WNET & The Macaulay Honors College: Engaging Communities through Public Media
· Picture Me in College: A Portrait Project with Homeless Teens
· Service-Learning in the Chemistry Classroom
· Turning Students on with High Impact Strategies
· Capacity Building Services: The Value of Community Partnerships
· Service-Learning with Holocaust Survivors: Intersection of History/Service-Learning and Agency Partnership
· Service-Learning in the Biology Classroom: Distinct Methods for Implementation
Presenting Institutions Include: Columbia University, Friends of Thirteen, Macaulay Honor’s College-CUNY, New York Campus Compact, NYU, Pennsylvania Campus Compact, Saratoga Inn, St. John Fisher College, Stony Brook University, Queensborough Community College