Prospective candidates are referred to Urban Scholars through school administrators, instructors, counselors, or community agencies. Each prospective candidate must attend an Urban Scholars Information Meeting with their parents/guardian or speak to an Urban Scholar staff person before an application is accepted. Application Criteria
- Demonstration of need (financial and cultural) The Urban Scholars is an Upward Bound program which is federally funded. It is a free program for those candidates whose family income falls below a certain level.
- Demonstration of Academic Promise (through recommendations and/or test scores) Students need not have stellar academic records. Yet, demonstration of some form of academic success shows that a student has the ability and motivation to succeed in the summer program.
- Demonstration of College Aspirations (through recommendations and interview) Students should be considering pursuing post-secondary education after graduation.
Attendance at one of five Urban Scholars target schools as anincoming freshman, freshman, or sophomore:
- APR High School
- Bread & Roses
- Frederick Douglass Academy
- Law and Public High School
- Mott Hall High School
If the applicant meets the requirements, he/she is given a program application which takes approximately one week to complete. The application is several pages in length and requires submission of the following:
- Short Paragraph Essay and Writing Sample
- Counselor Recommendation
- Teacher Recommendation
- Current School Transcript
- Proof of family income status (copy of parents/guardian 1040 Tax Form, or proof of Social Security AFDC, Unemployment Compensation...etc)
- Proof of US residency (U.S. Citizenship or Alien Registration Number)
- Social Security Card
Download Adobe Acrobat pdf application form
*All materials submitted become property of Urban Scholars.
Upon submission of a complete application, the student is given a standardized test (used to determine the student's level in Math and English). After which, each applicant is interviewed by a panel consisting of parents, current US students, and staff. Recommendations for this interview are presented to the Director. The final candidates are then selected and along with and his/her parent(s)/guardian(s) to be meet with the Director.
The selection of participant is based on:
- Application (completed)
- Grade Level
- Target School
- Short Paragraph and Writing Sample
- Application Criteria
* Please note that a Completed Application and an interview with the Director DOES NOT guarantee admission to the program.