Message to New Students
WELCOME TO THE OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID
The Office of Financial Aid is committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. Through grants, scholarships, loans and work-study opportunities, we strive to ensure qualifying students receive the assistance they need to make their goals a reality.There are many costs associated with attending college. Tuition, fees, books and supplies are just some of these expenses. As a prospective City College of New York (CCNY) student, you are probably wondering how you are going to be able to pay for your education. One of the advantages of attending CCNY is its affordability. Its relatively low tuition combined with financial aid makes the challenge of paying for college considerably easier.
We are eager to help you obtain all the financial aid for which you and your family may qualify, but, in order for us to assist you, you must take the first step! Your eligibility for financial aid can only be determined from processed financial aid applications. If you would like to be considered for financial aid, you must always submit an application, even if you believe you may not be eligible.
Remember that filing for financial aid is an annual process. File your financial aid applications early, starting in January for the upcoming academic year. Always apply early and follow up.
Applications for most programs as well as information regarding specific application procedures, eligibility requirements, methods of selecting recipients and allocating awards, and rights and responsibilities of recipients may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid. Please visit our website at http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/financialaid/index.cfm, call or come to the Office for all financial aid information.
We wish you the best of luck in preparing for and completing your education.
Director of Financial Aid
- To be considered for financial aid you must have completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) online. You can apply online and will need the CCNY’s Federal School Code of 002688 to complete the FAFSA. For the TAP website the State School Code is 1411.
- You must have resolved any outstanding issues with your FAFSA, such as, verification or any conflicting information. To have financial aid applied to your bill, this process must have been completed at least two weeks before your bill due date.
- Estimated Financial Aid information will be available 2 business days after your registration activity provided there are no outstanding issues. Students who did not complete their financial aid forms, or have any outstanding issues may not have their financial aid available in time to pay their bill.
- You should check your MyCity or CUNYfirst accounts to view financial aid information.
To view financial aid information and make tuition payment on CUNYfirst:
- Login to CUNYfirst.
- Select HR/Campus Solutions from the left menu.
- Navigate to Self Service followed by Student Center.
- In the Finances section, click the Account Inquiry link to see the details of the Account Summary. Under the Account Inquiry Tab, you will be able to view your pending financial aid. If you have pending financial aid that will cover your tuition and fee charges you do not need to proceed with the additional payment steps.
- If you need to make an additional payment, select Make a Payment.
- Enter dollar amounts in the Payment Amount column and select next. Payment should be made in full.
- Select your payment method-Credit Card or Electronic Check and select Next.
- Enter Payment Details and select next.
- Confirm Payment and Submit.
*Refunds: Financial aid that is not used for your tuition and fees will be refunded to you during the semester. View financial aid disbursements dates.
To Apply for a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan:
- You must have completed the FAFSA application.
- As a first time borrower at CCNY, you must complete the entrance counseling session and sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) online.
- You must submit the Federal Direct Loan Application online at www.cuny.edu or the paper application downloadable on the CCNY Financial Aid webpage . Click on forms.
- Allow 3-4 weeks for processing; during registration allow 6-8 weeks.
- Information on Federal Direct Loans are available on the CCNY Financial Aid webpage and elsewhere online.
New Transfer Students
- You must declare a major before the deadline date (see academic calendar) if you have 60 or more credits.
Honors Students and Biomed Students
- You must file the FAFSA application.
- If you are a New York resident, you must file the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). The application is generated after you submit the FAFSA application. You may check your TAP application online.
- You may be eligible for 10 semesters of TAP.
- Students completing a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan application for their housing expenses should attach a copy of their “Housing License Agreement”.
There are limits on the number of years students can receive federal PELL and NYS TAP aid.
- 12 semesters for Federal Pell
- 8 semesters for TAP
For more information please call us at 212.650.6656 or visit our site.