City College will close today, January 26, 2015, at 3 p.m. due to inclement weather. Only essential personnel are expected to report to or remain at work for regular business hours. The college is closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015. Only essential personnel report to work.
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Information
What is unemployment insurance?
Unemployment insurance is a form of temporary income for eligible workers who become employed through no fault of their own and who are ready, willing and able to work.
Who May File?
An individual who believes he/she is entitled to collect unemployment insurance benefits has the right to file a claim. However, educational institution employees will be ruled ineligible to receive benefits between semesters provided they have a resonable assurance for the following term. Also, CUNY employees who are attending a CUNY school (Full/Part time) are not entitled to collect unemployment insurance benefits.
How to apply for Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
You may apply for Unemployment Insurance Benefits via the Tel -Claim system at 1-888-209-8124 or via the Internet at http://www.labor.state.ny.us/ui/how_to_file_claim.shtm.
What you should have available before you file your claim?
- Your Social Security number
- Your New York State driver's license or Motor Vehicle ID card number (if you have either one)
- Your complete mailing address and zip code Telephone number where we can contact you between 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday
- Your Alien Registration card number (if you are not a U.S. Citizen and have a card)
- The names and addresses of all employers for whom you've worked within the last 18 months, including those employers in another state
- Employer Registration number or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) of your most recent employer (FEIN may be found on your W-2 forms) (if you have either)
- Your copies of forms SF8 and SF50, if you had federal employment within the last 18 months
- If you are unable to print, have a pen and paper available to write down important information
- If you are choosing to have direct deposit of your weekly benefits, you must have a check handy in order to enter your bank routing and checking account numbers
For additional information, please contact your local NYS Department of Labor Unemployment Insurance Claims Office