| North Academic Center (NAC) :: Room 5/301
| (212) 650-7609
| Fax: (212) 650-7604
The Archives and Special Collections Division was established in 1960 and is maintained in a controlled, secure environment which includes ample compact moveable shelving.
The archival collections document instruction, teaching, research, alumni and student life at the College through institutional records, publications, memorabilia, faculty papers, photographs, blueprints and media. Biographical information is collected on distinguished alumni, including the nine Nobel laureates who are City College alumni. These collections actively serve the City College community and are of continuing interest to scholars studying the history and sociology of higher education, as well as to biographers and journalists.
There is also a small but choice collection of 17th and 18th century titles in the fields of astronomy, mathematics and chemistry. See Collections >>
THE COLLEGEThe City College was founded in 1847 as the Free Academy of New York through the vision and activity of Townsend Harris, later the first United States Minister to Japan. Since 1961 it has been the flagship institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). The College offers programs in the liberal arts, engineering, architecture, education and biomedical education.
From its original location near Gramercy Park, the College moved to its present campus on St. Nicholas Heights in 1907. The collegiate gothic buildings, designed by George Browne Post, are on the National, State and City registers of historic places.