Hoau-Yan Wang, Ph.D.
Associate Medical Professor
Physiology and Pharmacology
School of Biomedical Education
Phone: (212) 650-8813
Fax: (212) 650-7726
B.S., 1981, China Medical College;
M.S., 1985, St. John's University (NY);
Ph.D., 1988, Medical College of Pennsylvania.
- Characterization of the molecular mechanisms mediating age-related and neurodegenerative dysfunction.
- Characterization of the molecular mechanisms underlying bipolar affective disorder and schizophrenia.
- Identification and characterization of the signal transduction cascades linked to GPCRs and alpha-7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor
- Borgmann-Winter KE, Rawson NE, Wang HY, Wang H, Macdonald ML, Ozdener MH, Yee KK, Gomez G, Xu J, Bryant B, Adamek G, Mirza N, Pribitkin E, Hahn CG (2008) Human olfactory epithelial cells generated in vitro express diverse neuronal characteristics. Neurosci (In press)
- Frankfurt M, Wang HY, Marmolejo N, Bakshi K, Friedman E (2008) Prenatal cocaine increases dendritic spine density in cortical and subcortical brain regions of the rat. Dev Neurosci (In press)
- Zhao N, Wang HY, Dow-Edwards D (2008) Cocaine exposure during early postnatal age diminishes medial frontal cortex Gs coupling to dopamine D1-like receptor in adult rat. Neurosci Lett 438: 159-162.
- Largent-Milnes TM, Guo WH, Wang HY, Burns LH, Vanderah TW (2008) Oxycodone + ultra-low-dose naltrexone attenuates neuropathic pain associated Mu opioid receptor – Gs coupling. J Pain 9: 700-713.
- Wang HY, Frankfurt M, Burns LH (2008) High-affinity naloxone binding to filamin A prevents mu opioid receptor – Gs coupling underlying opioid tolerance and dependence. PLoS One 3: e1554.
- Paquette JJ, Wang HY, Bakshi K, Olmstead MC (2007) Cannabinoid-induced tolerance is associated with a CB1 receptor G protein coupling switch that is prevented by ultra-low-dose rimonabant. Behav. Pharmacol 18: 767-776.
- Battaglia F, Wang HY, Gilardi MF, Gashi E, Quartarone A, Friedman E, Nixon RA (2007) Cortical plasticity in Alzheimer’s disease in humans and rodents. Biological Psychiatry 62: 1405-1412. Jointed first authors
- Hahn CG, Wang HY, Cho DS, Talbot K, GurRE, Berrettini WH, Bakshi K, Kamins J, Borgmann-Winter K, Siegel SJ, Arnold SE (2006) Abnormally enhanced neuregulin 1-ErbB4 signaling contributes to NMDA receptor hypofunction in schizophrenia. Nature Medicine 12:824-828. Jointed first authors
- Wang HY, Burns LH (2006) Gbg that interacts with adenylyl cyclase in opioid tolerance originates from a Gs protein. J Neurobiol 66:1302-1310.
- Wang HY, Friedman E, Olmstead C, Burns LH (2005) Ultra-low-dose naloxone suppresses Opioid tolerance, dependence and associated changes in Mu opioid receptor – G protein coupling and Gbgsignaling. Neurosci 135:247-261.
- Hahn CG, Umapathy, Wang HY, Koneru R, Levinson DF, Friedman E (2005) Lithium and valproic acid treatments reduce PKC activation and receptor-G protein coupling in platelets of bipolar disorder patients. J Psychiatric Res 39:355-363.
- Yablonsky-Alter E, Gashi E, Lidsky TI, Wang HY, Banerjee SP (2005) Clozapine protection against gestational cocaine-induced neurochemical abnormalities. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 312:297-302.
- Wang HY, Friedman E (2004) Aberrant serotonin receptor-mediated activation of G proteins in postmortem brains from Alzheimer’s disease patients. Mid-Taiwan J Med 9:1-10, 2004. The best paper award of the journal for 2004.
- Wang HY, Li W, Benedetti N, Lee DHS (2003) a7 Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors mediate b-amyloid peptides-induced tau protein phosphorylation. J Biol Chem 278:31547-31553.
- Nagele RG, D’Andrea MR, Lee H, Vekataraman V, Wang HY (2003) Astrocytes accumulate Ab42 and give rise to astrocytic amyloid plaques in Alzheimer’s disease brains. Brain Res 971:197-209.
- Lee DHS, Wang HY (2003) Differential physiologic responses of a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors to b-amyloid1-40 and b-amyloid1-42. J Neurobiol 55:25-30.
- D’Andrea MR, Nagele RG, Wang HY, Lee DHS (2002) Consistent immunohistochemical detection of intracellular Ab42 in pyramidal neurons of Alzheimer’s disease entorhinal cortex. Neurosci Lett 333: 163-166.
- D’Andrea MR, Lee DHS, Wang HY, Nagele RG (2002) Targeting intraneuronal Ab42 for Alzheimer’s disease drug discovery. Drug Dev Res56:194-200.
- Cai GP, Wang HY, Friedman E (2002) Increased dopamine receptor signaling and dopamine receptor- protein coupling in denervated striatum. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 302:1105-1112.
- Nagele RG, D'Andrea MR, Anderson WR, and Wang HY (2002) Accumulation of beta-amyloid1-42 in neurons is facilitated by the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in Alzheimer's disease. Neuroscience 110:199-211.
- Wang HY, D'Andrea MR, Nagele RG (2002) Cerebellar diffuse amyloid plaques are derived from dendritic Ab42 accumulations in Purkinje cells. Neurobio. Aging 23:213-223, 2002.
- Zhen XC, Torres C, Wang HY, Friedman E (2001) Protein phosphatase 1 regulates brain D1A dopamine receptor phosphorylation: role in dopaminergic dysfunction after in utero cocaine exposure. J Neurosci 21:9160-9167.
- Jin LQ, Wang HY, and Friedman E (2001) Stimulated D1 dopamine receptors coupled to multiple Ga proteins in different brain regions. J Neurochem 78:981-990.
- Seasholtz TM, Cai GP, Wang HY, Friedman E (2001) Ischemia-reperfusion decreases norepinephrine release and increases a-adrenoceptor-mediated contraction and inositol phosphate accumulation associated with increased coupling of a1a-adrenoceptors to Gaq in the rat tail artery. J Appl Physiol 91: 1004-1010.
- Wang HY, Johnson GP, Friedman E (2001) Lithium treatment inhibits protein kinase C translocation in rat brain cortex. Psychopharmacology158:80-86.
- Wang HY, Friedman E (2001) Increased association of brain protein kinase C with the receptor for activated C kinase-1 (RACK1) in bipolar affective disorder. Biological Psychiatry50: 364-370.
- Zhang S-P, Wang HY, Lovenberg TW, Codd EE (2001) Functional studies of bradykinin receptors in chinese hamster ovary cells stably expressing the human B2 bradykinin receptor. International Immunopharmacol 1: 955-965.
- D’Andrea MR, Nagele RG, Wang HY, Peterson PA, Lee DHS (2001) Evidence that neurones accumulating amyloid can undergo lysis to form amyloid plaques in Alzheimer’s disease. Histopathology 38: 120-134.
- Wang HY, Bashore TR, Tran ZV, Friedman E (2000) Age-related decreases in lymphocyte protein kinase C activity and translocation are reduced by aerobic fitness. J Gerontol55: B545-B551.
- Lee DHS, D’Andrea MR, Plata-Salaman CR, Wang HY (2000)Decreased a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor protein levels in sporadic Alzheimer’s disease brains. Alzheimer's Reports 3: 217-220, 2000.
- Wang HY, Lee DHS, Davis CB, Shank RP (2000) Amyloid peptide Ab1-42 binds selectively and with picomolar affinity to a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.J Neurochem 75: 1155-1161.
- Scott MK, Ross TM, Lee DHS, Wang HY, Shank RP, Wild K, Davis CB, Crooke J, Potocki A, Reitz AB (2000) 2,3-Dihydro-dithiin and -dithiepine-1,1,4,4-tetroxides: small molecule non-peptide antagonists of the human galanin hGAL-1 receptor. Bioorganic & Med. Chem 8: 1383-1391.
- Jones LB, Standwood GD, Reinoso BS, Washington RA, Wang HY, Friedman E, Levitt P (2000) In Utero cocaine-induced dysfunction of dopamine D1 receptor signaling and abnormal differentiation of cerebral cortical neurons. J Neurosci 20: 4606-4614.
- Wang HY, Lee DHS, D’Andrea MR, Peterson PA, Shank RP, Reitz AB (2000) b-Amyloid1-42 binds to a7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor with high affinity: implications for Alzheimer’s disease pathology. J Biol Chem 275: 5626-5632. One of the 63 milestone papers in Alzheimer’s disease research in year 2000 (selected from > 3000 published manuscripts by Alzheimer Forum).
- Wang HY, Lee DHS, Wild KD, Shank RP (1999) Galanin inhibits acetylcholine release from rat cerebral cortex via a pertussis toxin-sensitive Gi protein. Neuropeptides33: 197-205.
- Cai GP, Gurdal H, Smith C, Wang HY, Friedman, E (1999) Inverse agonist properties of dopaminergic antagonists at the D1A dopamine receptor: uncoupling of the D1A dopamine receptor from Gs protein. Mol Pharmacol 56: 989-99.
- Wang HY, Friedman E (1999) Effects of lithium on receptor-mediated activation of G proteins in rat brain cortical membranes. Neuropharmacol. 38: 403-414, 1999.
- Wang HY, Markwitz P, Levinson D, Undie AS, Friedman E (1999) Increased membrane-associated protein kinase C activity and translocation in blood platelets from bipolar affective disorder patients. J Psychiatric Res33: 171-179.
- Zhen XC, Uryu K, Wang HY, Friedman E (1998) D1 dopamine receptor agonists mediate activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and c-jun amino-terminal kinase by a protein kinase A-dependent mechanism in SK-N-MC human neuroblastoma cells. Mol. Pharmacol. 54: 453-458.
- Jin LQ, Cai GP, Wang HY,Smith C, Friedman E (1998) Characterization of the phosphoinositide-linked dopamine receptor in a mouse hippocampal-neuroblastoma hybrid cell line. J Neurochem 71: 1935-1943.
- Bhamre S, Wang HY, Friedman E (1998) Receptor mediated palmitoylation and depalmitoylation of G protein a subunits in rat cortical membranes. J Pharmacol Exp Ther286: 1482-1489.
- Shi LC, Wang HY, Friedman E (1998) The involvement of platelet activating factor in cell death induced under ischemia-/postischemia-like conditions in an immortalized hippocampal cell line. J Neurochem 70: 1035-1044.
- Burns LH, Vanderah TW, Wang HY (2008) Opioid Receptors And Antagonists: From Bench to Clinic: Ultra-low-dose opioid antagonists enhance opioid analgesia and reduce tolerance. (R. Dean, E. Bilsky, S. Negus ed.), Hunan Press (In press)
- Wang HY, Snyder DL, Roberts J, Friedman E (1999) Methods in Aging Research: Changes in Neurotransmitter Exocytosis: A Target for Regulation during Aging. (B.P Yu ed.), CRC PRESS LLC, Inc., pp341-359.
- Friedman E, Wang HY (1998) Prenatal cocaine exposure alters signal transduction in brain D1 dopamine receptor system. Annual New York Academy of Sciences., New York. Pp238-247.
- Cai GP, Wang HY, Friedman E (1998) The role of adenosine in the regulation of cardiac function: The effect of age. (A. Pelleg ed.), Landes Bioscience, pp173-188.
Last Updated: 2/3/09